Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A funny conversation

On my way home from the tailor in Bhogal, I had a funny conversation:

Random Indian man walks up to me: Hello, are you lost?
Me: No, I'm walking home.
Random Indian Man (RIM): I see. Do you live in Jangpura?
Me: Yes.
RIM: Where are you from?
Me: मैं अमरीका से हूँ। (I am from America.)
RIM: I speak English.
Me: I just like practicing my Hindi.
RIM: Well, you don't have to with me.
Me: Fine. Since you asked me, where are you from? Are you from Kashmir?
RIM: Yes! How did you know?
Me: Well, if you live in Jangpura, you can only be from Punjab, Kashmir, or Afghanistan. And your accent sounds Kashmiri. [note: I think Kashmiri accents are very distinct.]
RIM bursts into laughter as if I've said the funniest joke he's ever heard. He continues to laugh.
Me: What's so funny?
RIM: You're so observant! But you left out a group.
Me: What, foreigners?
RIM: Yes! They have been flooding Jangpura.
Me: Yeah, I know there are a lot of foreigners in this neighborhood, but I actually rarely see them.
RIM: I see white faces all the time! Especially compared to a year ago.
Me: I guess a lot of people are coming to India these days, and there isn't enough room in Defense Colony for all of us!
RIM starts laughing again.
RIM: Do you want to grab some chai with me?
Me: Why, are you going to try to sell me a pashmina shawl or a Kashmiri rug?
RIM: No... (pause) but how did you know I run a shop that sells those things?!
This time I was the one bursting into laughter.
Me: Because you're Kashmiri!!


[Note: for those of you who don't get why this is hilarious, tons of Kashmiris own "emporium" shops that sell pashmina shawls, Kashmiri rugs, and other handicrafts. And these Kashmiri salesmen always offer you chai. The chai is an integral part of their sales strategy, which is quite effective for unsuspecting foreigners.]

No comments:

Post a Comment