Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Cheese Hunt

One of my favorite foods in the whole wide world (perhaps second only to Maggi) is cheese. Unfortunately for me, finding cheese in Shimla is no easy task. There is no glorious heaven filled with angels and rainbows and sunshine and fluffy-white-clouds-that-somehow-can-hold-the-weight-of-happily-dancing-people-despite-being-composed-of-suspended-water-droplets-and/or-ice-crystals like The Cheese Ball in Delhi.

One Sunday back in October I spent seven hours looking for cheese. I wish I was exaggerating, but my watch, which as far as I know never lies, told me my hunt lasted from 11am to 6pm. I scoured Sanjauli, Dhalli, Chhotta Shimla, New Shimla, regular Shimla. All the Shimlas. But I found nothing. Not a single slice of edible non-paneer cheese (I did find plenty of slices of processed cheese, but those have the consistency and taste of plastic--actually, they taste worse than plastic--and frankly don't count as edible). Luckily, however, one shopkeeper informed me of a small grocery store (probably the only grocery store in the entire Shimla area) that carries Western goods but is closed on Sundays. So I went on Monday and voila! cheese! :)

Today I schlepped all the way to regular Shimla to this grocery store solely to buy cheddar cheese. (It legit takes an hour to get there from my apartment.) To my dismay, they were completely sold out of cheddar cheese. Don't these people realize how much I struggled to get there? (If they don't realize, I'll tell them: 15-minute walk, followed by a 20-minute wait for a bus, followed by a 20-minute bus ride, followed by a 10-minute walk. See, that's more than an hour!) After I undertook such an arduous journey, how could they not provide me with life-sustaining cheddar cheese? However, my spirits were quickly lifted when I found what would be my long-lost treasure chest of Aztec gold had I been a pirate of the Caribbean: a shelf fully stocked with the new Maggi flavors. I proceeded to buy 8 packs of Tricky Tomato and 6 packs of Thrillin' Curry.

rejoicing in my bounty

Shame? I have none.

Also, I still want cheddar cheese.

2 comments:

  1. You know, you should have told me, I would have brought you French cheese when I came :P
    But congrats on finding so much Maggi (I miss Maggi, too - I hope I'll find something like that in Germany!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha so you would've traveled around with a refrigerator for me? how kind! :-P

    once you find an apartment in Berlin, give me your address and maybe I'll send you some Maggi (along with a postcard from Cambodia. I decided by the time it arrives in France you'll no longer be there so it's pointless to mail it there).

    ReplyDelete