Thursday, April 1, 2010

Autowallahs on strike

As you all know, I take an autorickshaw (affectionately called "auto" by all) to work every day. The streets of Delhi are always crawling with autos, and I rarely have a problem getting one to work in the morning.

Today was different. Today, I did not see a single auto, neither in Jangpura nor on the main road, for 15 minutes. This was perhaps the strangest sight I have ever seen in Delhi. I knew something was wrong. Finally, I flagged down a regular taxi (something I have actually never done before in Delhi). After all, I had to get to work somehow.

It turns out the autowallahs are on strike today. The strike is 24 hours, and if their demands aren't met, the strike will continue for several hours each day indefinitely (I have been unable to find out which hours--hopefully not when I have to go to work!). Their demands are completely reasonable:

1. Fares should be increased. Fuel prices are increasing, but fares are not. Additionally, the meter should include waiting time, such as when they are sitting in traffic jams. (I have always found it odd that the meter does not already include this.)

2. Autorickshaw stands and shelters should be provided by the government. (I don't know if I've ever seen a marked autostand, and I've always wondered why there aren't any.)

3. Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dixit's statement that autorickshaws will be phased out in Delhi should be withdrawn. (She's an idiot. Tens of thousands of commuters depend on autos, and the autowallahs have limited means to make a living.)

Here is an excellent article about the plight of autowallahs that I highly recommend you read: http://www.indianexpress.com/news/autometersforthepeople/594330/

I really hope their demands are met, because my life cannot operate without autos. I take them everywhere. The metro will probably not be open in South Delhi until after I leave, and despite being on the BRT, no convenient buses stop by Jangpura. Taking a taxi could cost three times as much as taking an auto. Cycle-rickshaws are convenient for travel within Jangpura and Lajpat Nagar, but they aren't a realistic travel option for longer distances (I just feel bad for the guys, really). So yes, my life is entirely dependent on autos. And even though I always bitch about how they rip me off, etc, I do understand that the entire system sucks for them. I stand by you, autowallahs!

No comments:

Post a Comment