Saturday, January 16, 2010

Delhi *is* cold!

This article describes my current life perfectly:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/15/world/asia/15delhi.html

But you know what? Delhi is cold. Here's why:
  • Buildings in Delhi are built to keep out heat and retain cold for the insanely hot summers (120 degrees--not looking forward to that at all!). Marble floors are not exactly ideal for cold weather. This means it is actually colder indoors, and during the day the cold from the previous night does not escape. It is 40 degrees inside my apartment at all times.
  • There is no indoor central heating. Anywhere. I bought a measly space heater, but it doesn't help much. The heater doesn't even blow air. It just has two orange-red bars and kind of looks like the inside of a toaster oven. It's basically cooking the air immediately surrounding it. I have to sit directly in front of it to feel any heat. (This is why the outer plastic shell of my laptop monitor melted.)
So you may think you're tough surviving subfreezing temperatures in the US. But let me ask you this: how much time do you actually spend in those temperatures? The five minutes it takes to walk from a heated building to a heated car? Sounds like you're living in a comfortable 72 to me! Try living 24 hours in 40 degrees, and I think you'll understand why Delhiites are so cold. (Now if you're in the Himalayas and suffering 24 hours in subzero temperatures, you have legitimate reason to think we're all wimps in Delhi.)

Also, that article's description of the pollution is spot-on. All these street bonfires mix with exhaust fumes and the winter fog to create the most disgusting smog I have ever seen in my life. This makes LA's air look clean! Even my pollution mask is powerless against this smog. I literally cannot breathe. Sometimes I wonder how I'm still alive.

I'm planning to escape the cold and pollution by going to Orissa next weekend. I can't wait to relax on the beach! It's been way too long since I saw a large body of water.

1 comment:

  1. The linked article is insane. The lowest recorded temperature for Delhi in the past 100 years is -2.7 degrees C. And only in 2006 did it reach 0.3 degrees C. 2 degrees C is a regular minimum in Delhi every year. And this article says that Delhi has never witnessed freezing conditions! The West has created an opinion and image for almost everything in India, it seems! So, according to them all India has is just heat and no cold! And when they see temperatures around 0 degrees C upon landing here, those experiences are dismissed as once in a century kind! True non-Himalayan North India doesn't have winters as cold as European or Canadian, but it ain't as warm as most Western articles and blogs on it project it to be. Opinion-makers in the West need to digest one thing- their perceptions about India are mostly stereotypes; for a country as diverse as India- both naturally and culturally, you need to tour across its length and breadth to develop and propagate opinions. It's not just about winters- that's actually a non-issue, it's about most things about India put on articles and blogs- they seem like experience of one place stereotyped for the whole of India!

    ReplyDelete