Tuesday, September 15, 2009

नमस्ते भारत! (Hello India!)

I'm finally in India! I arrived last night, and I'm staying with Sareeta, the other PiA fellow, in CR Park. I've been here less than 24 hours, and already my nose is tingling from the polluted air (my snot is probably black) and I can feel the dust seeping into my pores.

The plane ride was long but I got to sleep and watch Wolverine and a few episodes of The Office. Boarding was hilarious. The Continental agent called boarding and all of a sudden all the Indians started pushing to get in line. People were sort of violent and paying no attention to the fact that we were boarding by rows. There was a group of American high-school-age kids (maybe there is a high school study abroad program?) and they all looked terrified. The Continental agent even threatened not to allow boarding at all if people didn't stop shoving and wait their turn. I felt like I was in India already!

I remembered that the first time I landed in India, I was immediately slapped in the face by the heat/humidity and the smell. I couldn't remember which came first, so I paid special attention this time. Well, the smell definitely hit me first! And the heat followed almost instantly. Welcome to India!

Aaahh, the smell of India. So hard to describe, and so unpleasant. Fortunately--or unfortunately?--I will get used to it. I would say the smell is some combination of exhaust/air pollution, fecal matter, paan (betel nut), spices, a lot of dust, and animals.

Speaking of animals, I am very relieved to say that I have not seen any menacing monkeys yet.

...yet.

1 comment:

  1. Monkeys. May you never encounter those things I hate those things. Whoever was the one to first create this friendly, cute, and snuggly monkey image should head to India for a taste of fanges and rabies. Could I send you my Fulbright to review here shortly? I have finished the personal statement and and finalizing all the details for the proposal. I am so jealous that you are in India!!!!!

    ReplyDelete