Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I'm baaaack! But leaving again soon--help me choose where!

I'm back from the field again, back from the sea of graduate school applications (ok not really, still have 2 left), and back to the blog. First order of business: Where should I spend my next vacation? Turns out I have 4 days leave that will expire Jan 1, 2011, and combined with a day off for Christmas (remember I normally work Saturdays) and a Sunday, that gives me a 6-day vacation! I want to go somewhere warm/hot and preferably with a large body of water like a sea or ocean (basically somewhere that is the opposite of the cold mountains I live in). And I'd like to stay in South Asia. Here's what I'm thinking:
  • Mumbai (to see Stanford friend(s) Nandita and/or Nina, depending on timing) and Gujarat (Little Rann, Rann of Kutch, Gir, and/or Diu) (yes I know technically Diu is in a separate Union Territory, but come on that's like saying Pondicherry town is not in Tamil Nadu)
  • Goa (it's hot, it has beaches and delicious food ...but also has rowdy British holidaymakers)
  • Lakshadweep (basically an extension of the Maldives archipelago in India, off the coast of Kerala. read: SCUBA DIVING! but also requires a permit I may or may not be able to get in time. and expensive.)
  • Andaman Islands (already been to Havelock, could explore other islands. but expensive to get there)
  • Bangalore (to visit friends), Hampi (ruins of an ancient city), and Gokarna (beach)
So, which location(s) you vote for? Or do you have other suggestions? Let me know via comment, email, or gchat! Thanks. :)

PS: Here is a taste of where I did field work:

I'm sorry, did I accidentally cross over into Tibet? Nako Village, Kinnaur.

More to come.

2 comments:

  1. I vote Mumbai and Gujarat. Mumbai is awesome, and you've never been to Gujarat (I think), so... :)

    (By the way, I have been refused for the job in Bangalore, but am still looking for something in India and/or Sri Lanka)

    ReplyDelete
  2. those Bangalore people are fools. FOOLS. they are missing out on a seriously amazing employee. well, their loss. I hope you find a job in South Asia soon!!

    yeah it's looking like Mumbai/Gujarat is the front runner. it seems wrong to not visit my American friends if I'm taking leave at that time (plus I'd actually like to see them!). I suppose I could go down to Goa from Mumbai if I *really* want beach time, but going to Goa as a solo female during the high season seems a bit dangerous... we'll see.

    ReplyDelete