Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I should probably be packing right now.

My flight to the US leaves in less than 24 hours. And I haven't started packing (besides what I already dropped off at Sareeta's place over two weeks ago for summer storage).

I spent my last 16 days in Sri Lanka. (Jhanvi, I know you want pictures, but I just don't have time right now, with the whole leaving Delhi thing.) Some highlights:
  • playing with freshly-hatched baby sea turtles (aged 1 to 3 days old), including one albino sea turtle in Kosgoda
  • learning about the traditional medicine shaman-type man at the mask museum in Ambalangoda
  • spotting crocodiles, monkeys, elephants, and various types of birds in Yala National Park
  • hiking through tea plantations up to Little Adam's Peak near Ella
  • Vesak perahera (Vesak is the day that Buddha was born, achieved enlightenment, and died, and a perahera is a procession, often and in this case with caparisoned elephants) in Badulla
  • seeing the Buddha's tooth relic during Vesak puja at the Dalada Maligawa temple in Kandy
  • watching the elephants at Pinnewala Elephant Orphanage (though I question the treatment of elephants in this facility), including petting a baby elephant
  • um, NOT the "Ancient Cities" -- a bit boring, actually
  • scuba diving off Nilaveli
  • exploring the wartorn Tamil region around Trincomalee
  • eating delicious Sri Lankan curries everywhere
Ok, now to pack...

No comments:

Post a Comment