Friday, April 30, 2010

Japanese people or butterflies?

As some of you know, there is an impossible, misbehaved child staying in this guest house/office (the same child as in a previous post). I don't need to get into the details about what a monster this child is, but I think you might find the following story amusing.

I came upstairs to find the communal TV turned on to Ninja Warriors, my favorite Japanese obstacle course game show. I don't know who turned it on or who was watching (there was no one there), but I was excited to find this show exists in India. I sat down to watch and then the devil himself came running up to me.

"What is this?" he pointed at the TV screen.
"Ninja Warriors. A Japanese game show. People race through a playground [I couldn't think of how else to explain 'obstacle course,' especially to a child who doesn't speak much English] to try to become ninjas."
"No."
"Yes."
"No."
"Yes."
"No."
"Yes. It is a Japanese game show."
"No." He walked up to the screen and pointed at a contestant. "He is butterfly."
"No, he is a man trying to become a ninja."
"No. He is butterfly. All is butterflies."
"No, he is a man. Just a man. They are all people."
"People? No. No people. Different looking. Butterfly!"
"No, they are not butterflies. They are people, and they look a little different because they are from Japan. But they are people. And if you think they are flying, that is because they have to jump to race through the playground."
"NNOOO!!! BUTTERFLY!!!"
"People! People from Japan!"
"BUTTERFLY!!!"
"PEOPLE!!!"
"BUTTERFLYYYYYY!!!!" screamed at the top of his lungs. Then he burst into tears, kicked me in the shins as hard as he could, and ran downstairs shrieking and crying to his father.

I have no idea why he kicked me or started crying. ...or why he thought Japanese people were butterflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment